Passion and respect inspire our educational community.
Roch Carrier Elementary School children participate in a challenging and meaningful education. Our community of learners practice teamwork, leadership and risk-taking as they prepare for the future.
In our nurturing and inclusive environment, children become problem solvers and responsible citizens. We prepare our students to be curious, creative and confident through authentic child centered opportunities. At Roch Carrier Elementary School we look out for one another, creating a caring community of learners with a joie de vivre.
We are a family and we "Roch"!
Roch Carrier Elementary School opened its doors in September 2005 in the Bridlewood South area of Kanata. It was named after Roch Carrier, the author of one of the best-loved modern Canadian stories for young people, The Hockey Sweater. Roch Carrier is passionate about literacy. He had a successful teaching career and is an award-winning author. Our School is a child-centered learning environment. Academic progress, social development, and positive attitude towards self and others are the cornerstones of our philosophy.
Roch Carrier has an enrollment of 415 students. The school serves students from Kindergarten to grade 6 in the community of Bridlewood south. Our diverse student population represents many countries. More than forty different languages are spoken by students and staff.
Roch Carrier Elementary School has a dynamic staff! The efforts of our staff are significant both inside and outside the classroom. In addition to our 25 amazing teaching staff we also have 2 Early Childhood Educators in each of our four Kindergarten classrooms. We have 1.5 Educational Assistants who support our students both in and out of the classroom. Our office staff includes an Administrator and an Assistant who set a very positive and welcoming tone to the office. We have a Library Technician who works hard to stock and manage our library. We also have one chief custodian and 3 evening custodians who care for us by ensuring that our building is clean and safe.
Roch Carrier Elementary School is located in the fast-growing area of Bridlewood South. The suburban school community consists primarily of single family dwellings surrounded by parks and basic local services. School families come from a variety of communities and cultures adding to the strength and diversity of our student body. Every day we welcome volunteers in our school to help read to our students, help with lunch programs and support sports and school activities.
The School Council serves as an advisory body to the school and plays an integral part in creating a welcoming atmosphere for staff, parents and students. The Council holds its meetings on the second Wednesday of the month at 7:00 pm in the school library. Everyone is always welcome. Partnership and communication between home and school is a focus at Roch Carrier Elementary School. The school website and classroom blogs, student agendas and email, Synrevoice and Twitter, these are just some of the ways in which we communicate with our families and community.
Facilities and Resources
- A beautiful library with a large collection of English and French books
- Four large and bright kindergarten classrooms
- We currently use two portable classrooms
- Well-equipped double gym with a full stage
- Technology in each classroom: laptops, Smart Boards, ELMO document projectors and media projectors, iPads, tablets, Chromebooks
- Adjacent parkland, basketball court and soccer field, 2 outdoor play structures
- Full Day Kindergarten: instruction in both languages 50% French, 50% English
- English Program: with Core French (40 minutes per day) Grades 1 to 6
- Early French Immersion Program: Grades 1 to 6 with English to Immersion
- Special Education Resources
- We have daily physical activity
Special Education and ESL Programs
- Integrated student support and educational assessment
- Language Arts and Math support in class using a co-teaching model
- English Language Learner support using both a co-teaching and withdrawal model
Clubs and Activities
- House league and team sports include: volleyball, basketball, cross country running, track and field, bordenball, soccer, and more
- Charitable fundraising: Terry Fox Run, Education Foundation, Emergency Food Cupboard, Toy Mountain, The United Way, and Free the Children
- Student mentors: Kindergarten bus buddies, Lunch monitors, Reading buddies
- Assemblies & School Spirit days
- Field trips of a varied nature that are linked to the Ontario Curriculum expectations
- Specialty programs are brought into the school: Hip Hop & Gaelic Football instructors
- Food & Lunch programs: milk, subs, pita, pizza, Lunch Lady
Safe Schools Initiatives
Roch Carrier Elementary School has a comprehensive Code for Learning which was developed by parents, staff, and our planning team. The OCDSB’s Community of Character Wheel is embedded into daily life at Roch Carrier and teachers talk about these characteristics in class.
Roch Carrier has staff trained in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Collaborative Problem Solving and First Aid/CPR.
Visitors must identify themselves and sign in at the office. Staff and Visitor identification badges are required for adults on-site. While the front door is not locked, the front stairs door as well as all exterior doors are locked throughout the school day.